Monday, August 17, 2009

Not About Tomorrow

We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand - and melting like a snowflake.

This is it, I often remind myself. This moment, this breath - this is your life. Open your eyes. See the purple sunset, Venus rising in the east, the mockingbird on the light post. Listen. The wind plays a different song passing through the cotton wood than it does through the cypress. Do you hear it?

I sit at this computer. My shoulder hurts. My back aches. The chair seat is hard and not so comfortable. Can I be in this moment too?

When Dennis pulls and twists my arm in directions I'm certain no arm should ever go and he ignores my grimace and he tells me to breathe and he asks if I'm okay and when I whimper yes, a voice across the room says Liar! Can I stay in that minute and not wish it were any other?

Honor the gift each precious moment brings. That's what I tell myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment