Sunday, August 23, 2009

Wilted Roses & Hungry Birds

The roses by the front door need the wilted blooms removed to make way for vibrant red buds. The zinnias would benefit from the same. Heavy hyacinth vines are climbing over the turk caps, which are holding their own against the invasion. But the cotton lavender is slowly being overwhelmed by the turk caps. It should have been transplanted way before now.

The bird feeder is empty. It hasn't fed a bird in months. The hummingbirds stop by now and then for a meal where the two big "flowers" usually hang. Finding nothing, they move on to the turk caps, which provide, I am sure, healthier fare. The only good I've done the birds this summer is to keep the bird bath under the pecan tree filled. This afternoon there was a whole lot of scuffling going on as starlings vied for a place in the water.

Most summers when I get home from work I go directly to tending garden and lawn. But not this year. Why? I could say my shoulder problems have held me back. That would sound good and you might believe it, but the shoulder's not at fault. I'm blaming the computer. Yes, yes, I owe you email - so what the heck, you want to know, am I doing on the computer?

Well, I'm gonna tell you - and I hope you see the irony in it. With a lowered voice and a sideways glance: I'm farming. Hey! I've got a big spread now with acres of crops to tend. And when I'm not working my farm, I'm helping my neighbors, or picking up work in the marketplace. Sorry, but I can't hang out here with you any longer. I've reached level 27 and can put a river through my place. I need to get to it. The roses? I'll clip them tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. My excuse has been the terrible heat this summer. Yea, right. My flower bed is bare, my potted plants neglected. Given a choice of working outside in the heat or farming inside under the a/c guess which I have been chosing? And now you have gone and exposed me - I have to do better. Maybe the coming cooler weather will inspire me.

    ReplyDelete